Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stevia

Just because something comes from nature does not make it safe for human consumption... I don't foresee petroleum becoming the newest energy drink or poisonous mushrooms as the newest snack choice. I am being facetious; however, there are some studies that have been published that show that stevia has been linked to an increased rate of infertility.

I understand that many people reading this are not trying to become pregnant so infertility is not a concern - however, what concerns me more than the symptom of infertility is my concern about the chemical reactions that are occurring inside of the body after Stevia consumption that would actually cause infertility - what else is going on and what are the side effects of that?

The studies that I am referencing showed that infertility rates increased after Stevia consumption was stopped - so they are not permanent - however, very obviously linked.

If you would like to check out a zero calorie sweetener that is created from a completely organic process using an organic fermenting agent you should look at Organic Zero by Wholesome Sweeteners. It is just as sweet as sugar and can be used 1:1 and does not have an after taste.

I also have several other sweeteners in my pantry:
  • 100% Pure Maple Sugar
  • Maple Sugar Flakes
  • Sucanat
  • Agave Nectar (Regular and Amber)
  • Honey
  • Dates (taste like brown sugar)
  • Molasses
  • Organic Zero by Wholesome Sweeteners
All of the above sweeteners have low-glycemic index, a similar caloric value to sugar, and each have their own individual taste. I prefer the taste of all of the above over sugar - and I love sweets!


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Can you explain the equivalents to cane sugar for baking? I'd like to start substituting but not sure if it is a 1:1. Thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.