Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Quinoa Broccoli Frittata

Tonight I made the Quinoa Broccoli Frittata from the latest Oxygen Magazine. It was one of the most amazing things that I have had lately. 

Anyways, back to the Frittata. I made it with a couple changes to suit my taste buds. I added 2 additional egg whites, used fresh steamed broccoli instead of frozen and added some seasonings.

Please find my version of the recipe below...


This would be a fabulous recipe to make when on Cooler 1!

Here is the recipe (with my above edits)

Quinoa Broccoli Frittata, inspired by Oxygen Magazine Recipe

1 whole egg
4 egg whites
1/2 cup milk - skim milk, unsweetened soy milk, or unsweetened vanilla almond milk, unsweetened rice milk
4 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, grated and divided
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp grill seasoning blend
1 tsp veggie seasoning blend
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked
14 oz broccoli, lightly steamed

Mist a large oven-safe skillet with olive oil and set aside. Preheat your oven's broiler.

In a medium bowl whisk together egg and egg whites. Add milk and 2 oz cheese and spices. Whisk until combined.

Combine quinoa and broccoli in the prepared skillet. Pour egg mixture over quinoa and broccoli and combine all ingredients, pressing them down into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining 2 oz of cheese over the frittata.

Cook the frittata mixture in the skillet on the stovetop at medium-high heat until the edges begin to brown. Place the skillet under the broiler until the middle sets up and begins to brown.

Makes 4 servings.

Calories 257; Fat 9, Saturated Fat 3; Carbohydrate 21, Fiber 5, Sugar 4; Protein 24.

Tip
Always look at the Ingredients of any seasoning blends that you purchase... some have unclean fats, sugars and preservatives added.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria! I just found your blog and am loving your healthy and creative recipes.

I was creating publications for my company recently and looked up a great article on copyright's of recipes. Essentially, you can't copyright a recipe. If you choose to use a recipe and credit were you got it from, you get bonus points for being polite. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Anonymous said...

In that case, I would love it if you would post the recipe as I don't have a subscription to Oxygen magazine. I read your blog every day and really love the tips and recipes. Hoping to see this one soon. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

TFS! Looks yummi!

Maria Peters said...

Thanks for the information.

Take a look at... I posted my version of the recipe!

Coach Kai said...

Confused I thought no cheese/dairy in cooler1...HELP

Maria Peters said...

Coach Kai,

This is a Cooler 2 version of the recipe. To make it cooler 1, I used only egg whites, omitted the cheese, and used water in place of the milk.

I hope that this helps!

- Maria

Anonymous said...

I just made the Oxygen magazine version of this recipe. It was my first time cooking quinoa. The frittata is cooling on the stove now, so I'm not sure how it tastes, but it looks good. (not as pretty as yours!) Question: the 1 cup of quinoa- that's one cup UNcooked, right? When I cooked the quinoa and put it in the skillet, it just seemed like SO much. And the amount of egg vs quinoa seemed kinda off. Thanks if you can answer my question! :)
Amanda

Maria Peters said...

Amanda,

Yes, it is 1 cup uncooked quinoa. Enjoy!