Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sweet Potatoes are Yummy!

Day 2 of Cooler 1 was just about as good as Day 1 of Cooler 1. I feel like Cooler 1 is definitely manageable as long as you are extremely prepared and have enough good eats on hand to keep yourself from boredom or grabbing for something that is not in the plan.

Yesterday, someone asked me how I like to prepare my sweet potatoes. I usually prepare sweet potatoes in one of the following ways:

1. Bake them like a white potato

I wash and dry each sweet potato and then cut each one into 4 pieces (once in half, then in half again). I then place each piece of sweet potato in tin foil. I cook the sweet potatoes in one of two ways:

A. Bake in the oven at 350˚ F for 35 - 45 minutes. I check them at 35 minutes to see how soft they are. If they are not done, I let them keep baking until they are soft.

B. I place them on a the shelf of a hot grill until they are soft, about 25 - 35 minutes.

2. Make them into Sweet Potato Fries using one of the many recipes that I have in Tosca's books and the CE magazines.

3. Buy frozen sweet potato cubes and steam them until they are warm and ready to be mashed.

I love sweet foods, so I always top my sweet potato with a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Allan prefers his sweet potatoes with Ketchup, BBQ sauce or butter + salt & pepper. 

I have also heard of people using greek yogurt as a topping for sweet potatoes or mixing them into a smoothie with protein powder to make a yummy treat. Try mixing things up and trying out new ways to spice up an old favorite. What is your favorite way to prepare a sweet potato?

Here are my eats for the day:

Meal 1: egg whites + chicken sausage + 1/2 serving red pepper + 1/2 oats serving cooked with 3 tbsp flax + 2 tbsp wheat germ

Meal 2: egg bake (1 egg serving + 1/2 veggie serving) + 1/2 serving sweet potato

Meal 3: Cooler 1 Protein Bar muffins

Meal 4: bison + 1.5 servings of green beans + apple

Meal 5: chicken + lettuce + 1/2 serving english cucumber + balsamic vinegar

Meal 6: egg whites + chicken sausage + broccoli + 1/2 serving sweet potato fries (seasoned with chili powder and cayenne pepper)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What brand of chicken sausage do you eat?