Monday, March 23, 2009

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Last weekend my Aunt and Uncle were in town to visit, join us for church and to hear me sing. After church, we went to the local Highland breakfast joint, Copper Dome. It had been a while since I have been to the Copper Dome and had never realized how many clean options they had on the menu. One of which was Sweet Potato Pancakes. My aunt ordered them and they were fabulous! 

This weekend, as I reminisced of the yummy pancakes, I decided to make up a batch of my very own! My test kitchen delivered deliciously delectable Sweet Potato Pancakes that rivaled the ones served at the Copper Dome while being low in calories, fat, and sugar, and fairly high in protein. Bon appétit!




Sweet Potato Pancakes

1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour (or any whole grain gluten-free flour)
½ cup rolled oats
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp maple sugar flakes or sucanat
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp sea salt
8 egg whites (or 1 cup)
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
¾ cup cooked sweet potato, puréed
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients – flour, oats, baking powder, sweetener, spices, sea salt. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients – egg whites, cottage cheese, yogurt, sweet potato and vanilla extract.

Place wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Mix until moistened, do not over mix. Set aside for 30 minutes to soften oats.

In the meantime, preheat oven to 200˚ F and preheat a nonstick griddle to medium high heat. Mist a jelly roll pan with olive oil.

Spoon ½ cup of batter on to the hot griddle for each pancake. Bake until golden brown on either side and cooked through. Keep pancakes warm on the prepared jelly roll pan in the preheated oven.

Enjoy plain or with a tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce.

Makes 13 pancakes.

To Freeze: Wrap leftover pancakes individually in cling wrap then wrap all pancakes in a piece of tin foil. Place in a freezer bag and freeze.

Nutrition Information for 1 pancake, dry.
Calories 119; Fat 1; Carbohydrate 22, Fiber 3, Sugar 5; Protein 7.

Tip
Some conventional cottage cheese contains carbon dioxide - Read your ingredients label to ensure that you can pronounce and feel comfortable eating all of the ingredients listed!

2 comments:

Kari@Onederland said...

I recently found your blog linked off from Tosca's forum. I'm there as well..just started. I've got a long road ahead of me but I LOVE that I have found a blog from someone who is eating clean. Looking forward to reading more! And you look great!
These sound delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Maria Peters said...

They are absolutely fabulous!!! My new favorite.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or ideas! I love to hear from other clean eaters - we can all learn so much from each other.