Thursday, March 12, 2009

Courage

“Courage is the ladder on which all other virtues mount.” —Clare Boothe Luce

In order to inspire change in your life you must first have courage. According to Princeton University’s WordNet, courage is...
“a quality of spirit that enables you to face danger or pain without showing fear”
I love the way that this is worded. Most people have a fear of the unknown and change is definitely an unknown. In order to have the courage to make changes in our lives we need to obtain a quality of spirit that will enable us to face the pain of change without showing or even thinking about fear.

If you have a dream - don’t give it up because you are afraid. Fight for what will make you happy. Personally, I have always envisioned my body as thin. Looking back at photos of myself 47 pounds ago is painful – because in my mind I did not look like that. However, when I finally came to the realization that I needed to do something to change my life to become healthier and happy I needed to have the courage to make a drastic change in my life. I prayed to God and asked for the courage to make the change so that I could start treating my body like a temple.

To say “no” to unclean foods is easy if you have courage – plan ahead for difficult situations and come prepared! The second half of preparation is the follow-through. Have the courage to stick to your plan no matter what happens. There will always be temptations and occasionally you will give in. However, when you do have an unplanned cheat – don’t get down on yourself. Have the courage to pick yourself up and lend some words of encourage instead of doubt. The way that you talk to yourself plays a large role in your self-esteem. Treat yourself with respect and encouragement and you will reap the rewards.

If you are planning on asking God for courage here are some Bible verses for inspiration:
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.."
- II Timothy 1:7
“For since Jesus Christ himself has passed through the test of suffering, He is able to help those who are meeting their test now.” Hebrews 2:18
“God is faithful and will not let you be tested beyond that you are able but will with the testing time make a way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13
“My God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
“God said to me, my grace is sufficient for you. My strength is made perfect in your infirmity.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
“And we know that in all things God works together for the good of all them that love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

No comments: