Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Toxins in Cosmetics

Lately I have been doing research on the safety of cosmetics and beauty products. Unfortunately, I found out that the items that have been a regular part of my life for years are not as safe as I had thought. I have always been a regular user of Clinique products and have now moved away from using them due to the ingredients that they choose - some of which are known carcinogens.

After doing my research I found out that there is little United States FDA regulation of Health and Beauty products. During this process I found the following PDF on the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website that does a great job at outlining the "problem" with the US Cosmetics industry - including the top ingredients to avoid. You can also check out the Skin Deep website to research the various products that you use and see which chemicals and (possibly) carcinogens are in the products that you use. It is very eye opening.

In addition, if you are interested in doing your own research on the safety of the products that you use, here are a couple links:

Unfortunately, simply buying products that are Labeled Organic or Natural does not mean that the products are safe. Here is an article about a suit that Dr. Bronner's has raised against some manufacturers that claim that their products are organic when they very well may not be.

Be sure that you check out all of the products that you intend to buy, not just a few from a certain manufacturer; because I have found that a line or brand of Health and Beauty products may have one or two items that are safe, but the rest of their products are junk! An example of this is Boots No. 7 - they have a few products that I would consider purchasing; however, many of their powders contain Talc - which is a carcinogen.

Here are some links to products that I have researched and found to be safe:
Please let me know if you have additional questions about brands, ingredients, or the safety of products that you like to use.

No comments: