Thursday, July 9, 2009

Steamed Kabocha Squash


Have you tried Kabocha squash yet? If not, what are you waiting for?

I have heard that Kabocha can be a little difficult to come by, but here in Minneapolis, I have seen them in all of the local grocery stores, not just specialty grocers. If you have a difficult time finding one, visit your local Asian market and they will be sure to have one.


Kabocha can be enjoyed in a number of ways: baked, steamed, sauteed, grilled, etc. I chose to cut my squash into bit size chunks, skin and all, and lightly steam it.


It kind of looks like an acorn squash on the inside and it has a distinctly sweet smell.


Allan and I enjoyed our Kabocha drizled with ABU and cinnamon. I was a little wary at eating the squash skin and all, but it actually added a nice chewy mouthfeel to the soft squash. We both really liked Kabocha's unique texture, as it is more "meaty" and not stringy like other squash. It almost reminded me of eating a sweet potato. I also loved the slightly sweet taste that melted in your mouth.

Here is my plate:

And this is Allan's plate:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to try Kabocha squash for a while but haven't had the guts to. I think I'll buy one today and try it out. It sounds easy enough to make. I didn't realize you could eat the skin and all. How long do you steam it for?

Roxanne

Maria Peters said...

You should definitely try one. We ate more tonight with supper and it was just as yummy. It took about 15 minutes to steam, I just checked it every so often to see how soft it had become. Enjoy!

AzLinda said...

I saw those the other day, wish I would have picked one up. Yours and Allen's plates look scrumptious!