Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Clean and Bright (Vita-Mix Marinara Sauce)

  • "Better keep yourself clean and bright. You are the window through which you must see the world." - George Bernard Shaw

I receive daily inspirational quotes from Real Simple and this was today's. I thought that it was fitting.

Yesterday's meals were very clean. This week I am making sure to follow a strict Cooler 2 plan from Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet. I made myself a check list that I use every night when planning the next day's meals. It helps me to make sure that I am getting enough of the right food. I am bummed that I did not have time for a workout last night - I didn't get home from my color/cut until 7 PM and then after making dinner and eating with my husband, it was already 8 PM.

Here are my eats for yesterday:

Meal 1 - 1/2 C Egg Whites, 1 Organic Chicken Sausage, 1 Slice of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Meal 2 - 1/2 of a Vita-Mix Protein Shake: 1 Orange, 1 palm full of strawberries and mango, 2 palms full of spinach, 1 date,1 Serving Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 TB wheat germ, 1 TB ground flax, 1 TB bee pollen, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Meal 3 - 1 1/2 cups of Lentil Stew (from the Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook) with turkey breast and 1/2 of the Vita-Mix Protein Shake from Meal 2
Meal 4 - 1 C Organic Low-Fat Plain Yogurt and 4 egg whites
Meal 5 - Baked Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Vita-Mix Marinara Sauce and ground Turkey Breast and Skim Mozzarella Cheese melted on top (1/2 C noodles and 1 1/2 C Marinara Sauce)

I also made Lara Bars last night while the Spaghetti baked. I found a recipe on Enlightened Cooking. I used almonds and unsweetened cranberries and added some vanilla protein powder to the final mixture. I have yet to try them, but will let you know what I think. 

Here is the recipe for the Marinara Sauce that I made:

Vita-Mix Marinara Sauce with Ground Turkey Breast

Extra Virgin Olive Oil spray
1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey breast
1/2 small onion
Salt and Pepper, to taste

1 medium carrot, washed and cut in half
1 stalk of celery, washed and cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
2 small onions, peeled and quartered
2 pounds roma tomatoes, quartered
1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
1 teaspoon dried crushed basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 bay leaf

Whole Wheat Noodles

1/4 C Skim Mozzarella Cheese
 
Spray a dutch over with extra virgin olive oil spray and pre-heat to Medium heat. Place turkey breast and 1/2 onion in skillet and brown until turkey breast is cooked through and no longer pink. Drain fat from pan.

Place all vegetables, olive oil, and spices - except bay leaf - in a Vita-Mix container (or a Food Processor) in the order listed. Secure the lid. Select 
Variable, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #5 or #6. Run for 30 seconds, until all items have been chopped and the mixture is as chunky/smoothe as you would like. Pour into the dutch oven with the turkey breast mixture. Add the bay leaf and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
 
Preheat oven to 350° F.

While the sauce simmers, prepare your favorite variety of Whole Wheat Noodles according to the package directions. 

Combine Sauce and Al Dente Noodles in an oven proof casserole dish and top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake covered until mixture becomes bubbly. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.


Cooler 1 Substitution:
  • Make without the carrot, olive oil, and mozzarella cheese
  • Substitute Spaghetti Squash for the Whole Wheat Noodles
  • Portion: 2 Vegetables (Marinara + Spaghetti Squash) and 1 Lean Meat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great recipe. I'll have to try that one.

I too am eating clean since the beginning of the year. Followed Cooler 1 for 2-1/2 weeks, now doing a modified Cooler 2 . . . I started to get cravings and figured I wasn't getting enough with the activity level! LOL. Have a great day!

Maria Peters said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about Cooler 1. I plan on doing Cooler 1 next week Monday - Friday. I have found that with how busy I am on the weekends that I cannot hold to a strict Cooler 1 - plus I start to get some pretty intense cravings...

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I have read all of Tosca's books (some more than once) and might be able to help. I know that it can be quite confusing at first.