Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Cravings

When summer rolls around I crave giant Farmer's Market salads topped with canned tuna.

Romaine and spinach topped with tuna, cucumbers, red peppers 
and Annie's Light Raspberry Vinaigrette

Unfortunately due to the mercury content, I cannot enjoy tuna every day. So, some days I swap out the tuna for canned wild caught salmon, grilled chicken, hummus or slivered almonds. Other days I simply accompany my salad with a vanilla or chocolate whey protein shake.

Kale massaged with 1/2 avocado, EVOO, sea salt and lemon juice 
topped with baby carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, salmon and balsamic vinegar

Which summer foods do you crave?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it mercury in canned Tuna? All brands? I didn't know.. I worry about the alu in the can itself - what's safe to eat anymore anyway..

Salads looks deli!

Maria Peters said...

Tuna has a moderate amount of mercury in the fish itself because of where it is on the food chain. So, it is best to eat in moderation.